Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sunday Walkabout 11-17

I know I’m running terribly behind on my 30 days of blogging.  I’m working on it, honest. I’ve got a number of pieces that just need a little work before I post them.  

my beautiful view is somewhat dismal today
It’s a dark and gloomy day here on the hill with little rain showers here and there. Maybe, just maybe the weather will give me a chance to catch up on my writing.  …or maybe I’ll just cave and take a nap! But, first here’s a little update from the hill.





We processed the last batch of broilers for 2013 this past week.  While I love chicken in all its various presentations, I’m always glad when we’re done with that project.  Although the end of broiler season means that Winter is just around the corner and I can’t say that I am eagerly anticipating the cold, windy season
(…and don’t even get me going on snow).

For those of you wondering (and I know there are a few) the old ewe didn’t make it. We did everything we could. (honest) While it’s really a bummer to lose an animal, it goes with the territory...and life goes on.  We hauled her up to H’burg on Tuesday and are waiting for the necropsy results.  At this point, we do know it wasn’t rabies (which is a great relief in many ways).  For the record, the rest of the flock is fine.




I did find a bit of amusement during our somewhat depressing trip to the State Lab.  The Lab is smack-dab in the middle of cropland at the edge of H’burg…and R’ham county is in the midst of corn harvest.  Dumptrucks were everywhere hauling corn.  We were passed by the most awesome dumptruck…with chrome…lots of chrome and a striking paint job.  When he got in front of us and we could see that it said Cornfield Cadillac on the back (with the little emblem and everything) I had to laugh.  So, Mr. Trucker (whoever you are) thanks for the smile on a rather dismal day!
bad photo (dirty windshield, shaky truck)
and you can't seethe amazing amount of chrome
but, it made me chuckle
















The rest of the week was fairly uneventful…make that really uneventful…maybe even boring. In all honesty, it is best when farm life is uneventful and boring.

That looks cold!
24* at chore time
The mid-week was very cold and windy. 
















The stock tanks froze for the first time this season. (it’s time to get out the heaters)



 Gus took it upon himself to haul ice around for future snacking.  For a couple days I found chunks of ice in the oddest places.

Saturday’s Market started really slowly.  It was dark and foggy and I reckon lots of folks slept in. But, once things got rolling, it turned into a great (really great) Market day.  Just one more week for folks to stock up and then Market season 2013 will be history.





So, that’s how our week went…










Hope you had a good one!  Thanks for stopping by…


Happy Sunday!


…y’all come back, now, ya hear?

Are you following along with the other 30 Days Bloggers?

 Check in with Holly  and the rest...

30 Days Bloggers




No comments:

Post a Comment