Thursday, December 20, 2012

Mountains


Despite the fact I started my life journey in a place that my father disparagingly said only produced “swamp rats”, I have always felt a certain affinity for the mountains.

Maybe that's because I’ve felt I was somewhat of a hillbilly…thus giving more than a little credence to Blake Shelton’s song "Hillbilly Bone". (“we ALL got one down deep inside”)

I grew up gazing out on the Pond Mountains.  The long line stretched to the edge of the horizon. There were seven that were visible from the back porch on a clear day. You could gauge the weather by just how many of the mountains you could see. Somehow, things seemed better when I knew I would be able to see those hills.





I guess that is why mountains always make me think of the Bible verse: “I lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help.  My help cometh from the Lord who made heaven and earth.”

Blue Ridge
Living in the Valley, it might seem rather odd to talk about mountains.  However, without the rise of the mountains on either side, there would be no beautiful Valley. The Blue Ridge to our east and the Alleghenies to the west are vital to the views, views, views that everyone raves about when visiting our little corner of the world.
Allegheny

Looking out toward my mountains, (I realize that those in the west wouldn’t consider our little hills of any consequence) I got to thinking about the mountains in our lives.  Those hard times that are a struggle, a challenge, and feel like it takes every ounce of will to conquer. Again, it is the "mountains" that make it possible to reach the pinnacle of success and to see the situation from a new vantage point. Without the struggles in life, the journey might be easy, but it would be bland and flat as well. It has been said that you can never fully appreciate the good times without the bad.



Reminds me of part of a Lonestar song…

This world ain't fair
It can knock you on your butt
You can just lie there
Or you can get back up

You gotta get back up

There are times in life when you gotta crawl
Lose your grip, trip and fall
When you can't lean on no-one else
That's when you find yourself
I've been around and I've noticed that
Walkin's easier when the road is flat
Them danged ol' hills will get you every time
Yeah, the good Lord gave us mountains
(The good Lord gave us mountains)
So we could learn how to climb

I’m thankful for all the mountains…those that add grandeur to the landscape and those that add to the texture and challenge of our day to day lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment