Thursday, October 20, 2011

Rollin', Rollin' Rollin'...

Last winter I started “Operation Farmhouse Facelift”.

As an empty-nester, I did what many empty-nesters do…I painted. However, my painting got a little out of hand. I intended to paint only the upstairs bath. By the time lambing season started, I had painted both bathrooms, the guestroom (A’s old room), the laundry room, and our bedroom. I left the painting frenzy for the frenzy of the lamb barn, then the garden, the Market, and so on.

I knew the rest of the painting would have to wait until fall. All the newly painted surfaces only served to make painfully obvious the need to soldier on in the project. Then the paint samples at Lowe’s continued to tempt me with their siren’s song. My stack of colors to consider got larger and larger.

Now that things have reached some level of relative “calm”, I’ve got a paintbrush in my hand again. I never realized how obsessive I am until I began painting. The Boss and the girls have pointed out this trait numerous times throughout the years, but I thought they were exaggerating.

I just love painting! Those boring off-white walls are boring no more. But, I just want to keep on painting. Forget meals, chores, the Market, bookwork, the laundry, picking, planting, or seeding…I just wanna paint! I am fairly certain that this gives the Boss yet another reason to be happy we have a very small house.

I am presently painting the living room. This has to be finished prior to the onset of “wood-stove season”, since the woodstove is in the center of the room. The blustery wind today only served to remind me that this is a priority job.

While it really doesn’t affect the working of the farm, it does REALLY affect my outlook on things. The freshly painted, newly organized rooms grant a fresh perspective on things.

So, despite the multitude of other things I could be doing, the farm events I could be chronicling, I’m painting the living room with the music cranking.

Rollin, rollin, rollin, keep that paintbrush rollin’…..oh, wait…that’s not the way those lyrics go!

Just let me get it out of my system. I'll be back to focusing on farm work soon!

1 comment: