Tuesday, October 14, 2014

30 Days-Lessons from the Farm-The Challenge

November is just around the corner.  And, you know what that means…don’t you?

Aside from Thanksgiving and the end of Market season, it also means that my cyber-friend, Holly Spangler over at Farm Progress has once again issued her annual 30 day  Ag blogging challenge.

Last year was my first year to participate.   Click HERE to read. the post that includes the links to all my daily entries for the challenge. I had never tried blogging every single day before. It was indeed a challenge, but it was fun, too.  I also found some great blogs to read that I didn't know were out there.


So, I’ll take Holly up on her challenge again this year.

I really need something to push me out of my blogging funk. I know I’ve been pretty bad about blogging this summer.  I’ve had lots of ideas, but they seem to fall flat when they are written.  Focus…maybe I just need some focus.

I have decided that this year I will write about lessons learned here on the hill.  The series will be entitled
30 days of Lessons from the Farm.

The fact that I actually figured out a working plan is quite possibly a first for me. I have a lesson a day that I hope will be inspiring and educational. Don't worry, not all the lessons are exclusive to our life in Agriculture. Many apply no matter your lifestyle or livelihood.  A few of them might even be funny, giving you get a chance to laugh and learn from our mistakes. And I will still do the Sunday Walkabout since I know some of you wait for that one.  I understand T-bone really likes to read that one while he drinks his Sunday morning coffee!  



When we settled here in ’97, it was with broken hearts and battered dreams, no plan (except to somehow survive), our two little girls…and about $5 in the bank. Dark days indeed.  It has taken a lot of hard work to get to the point we are today.  Many changes have occurred and a great number of lessons have been learned. (and more than a few of those were learned the hard way) I hope you’ll come along with me as I chronicle some of the lessons throughout the month of November. Actually, I'm going to start the 31st of October with a little bit of the backstory for you.

I would also encourage you to check out all the other blogs from all sorts of Ag bloggers. There should be a lot of participants this year. It sounds like a great time! I’ll be posting a link to all the other blogs on my daily entry.  Read along and let me know what you think. I'm pretty sure you will find something interesting.

This is a pretty big commitment...I'm going to be typing like a crazy woman for a while.  Off to the keyboard...


Looking forward to November 1st!



P.S. A big THANK YOU to Holly for the inspiration and opportunity! Here's the link to Holly and all the other Bloggers. Click HERE.

Here are the links to my posts in this series:
The Backstory
Day 1 - All the Things You Don't Know
Day 2 -Sunday Walkabout 11-2
Day 3 - Thinking "Outside the Box"
Day 4 -Learned a LOT on that Sheep, Tom!
Day 5 - Oh, Those Brown-eyed Girls
Day 6 -  Ya Know You're Good...
Day 7 - Say "NO" to the Llama, Mama!
Day 8 -Man and Machine
Day 9 - Sunday Walkabout 11-9
Day 10 - For the Love of Bacon
Day 11 - Like Ripples in a Pond
Day 12 - Solving the Henhouse Mystery
Day 13 - #Thankful4Ag
Day 14 - It All Adds Up
Day 15- WHY Do I Do the Farmers' Market?
Day 16 - Sunday Walkabout 11-16
Day 17 -Here Chick, Chick
Day 18 - Home, Home on the Range
Day 19 - Lucky Growin' Up Like That
Day 20 -Reduce, Re-use, Recycle
Day 21 - Kick First, Ask Questions Later
Day 22 -  So...Here We Are
Day 23 - Sunday Walkabout 11-23
Day 24 - I Owe a Lot to Alternative Ag
Day 25 - Food as Art
Day 26 - ...'Til the Veggies Come In
Day 27 - In Everything Give Thanks
Day 28 - Seeds of Change
Day 29 - Sunday Walkabout 11-30
Day 30 - Time to Wrap It Up

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Since I love you and your blog, every day you for thirty days?? What a treat!
    Inspired by you, I will resurrect my Slug Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maureen!
      It seems oddly appropriate that I should have inspired your Slug Post. LOL

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to a daily blog from you and I am so glad you will still be doing your Sunday Walk About as I am one of those who looks forward to it!
    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! Glad to know you're out there reading. :)

      Delete
  3. I look forward to a daily blog Barbara - yours in one of my favourite blogs as I feel our farms have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! The similarities are uncanny, considering we have an ocean between us!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this! I just started a blog for a little Michigan farm my sister's family runs now and where I will be moving to next year. We were needing motivation to get the blog up and running and this sounds like great fun. I will be looking forward to your posts :) Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!
      Thanks for taking the time to comment.
      You should get in on the fun with the link to Holly's post. I think you can be included if you sign up before the end of the month.
      I checked out your blog. I will be back to visit for sure!
      You're growing hops, how cool! My son-in-law is a homebrewer and just started his own little hops growing experiment. So, I will look forward to reading more.
      Best wishes in your endeavors. Come back and visit us again soon.

      Delete