Sunday, April 19, 2020

Sunday Walkabout 4-19-2020



Where to start?

We seem to have hit our limit, crisis-fatigue (if that can be a thing) has set in…there have been incendiary remarks, protests, arguments, altercations that took a tragic turn, gunfights… I think someone even died.

Oh. Wait. You probably think…

Not us.

I am not talking personally here. Although, there has been more swearing more than usual, serious tension, at least one meltdown and far too many frustrated tears. But I was talking societally, locally...every day is some new shocking story. People are reacting to this crisis in some disturbing ways. These are scary and unsettling times.
I probably should stop reading the news.

The Virginia stay-at-home order remains in effect (until June 10th) and the governor angered some folks when he extended the “non-essential business” closures until May 8th. I totally understand the concerns regarding the economy, I do. And, I’ve got some serious financial worries, so I get it…totally. However, dead people can’t work at all and once the medical system is overwhelmed, we’re all going to be in a very bad place.

But, you didn’t come here to read about my opinions or tales of other people’s bad behavior. You’re looking for some pretty pictures and maybe a funny animal story…

And, that’s probably all I’ve got for you this week.


The sheep are enjoying the lush grass of early Spring and there are SO many flowers this year that it is absolutely gorgeous out there. (we just try to overlook the pollen that threatens to overwhelm our sinuses) I don’t know if we can attribute that to the lack of any real winter, or what. But, it has been amazing. It has also been cold, hot, windy, rainy…SNOWY. (yep, on April 15th!) The crazy weather has just added to the overall uncertainty of EVERYTHING these days, and I keep thinking of Winnie-the-Pooh’s Eeyore (and quite possibly my true “spirit animal”) when he said “at least we haven't had an earthquake lately.” (which, is really a good thing, people are still talking about the one we had in 2011) That may be the only thing we haven’t had.

frosted dandelion
pretty lilacs
the first dogwood flower
a profusion of apple blossoms

pink honeysuckle
(and a little fly)
more apple blossoms
tulips

lots and lots of tulips

amazing redbud flowers

bumblebee at work
pretty flowers can't take incessant WIND

wet blossoms

Adding to the weirdness is the lack of the Farmers’ Market as an anchor in our lives. When I anticipated leaving the Market behind, I didn’t realize how hard it would be to develop a new rhythm and routine to keep life moving smoothly (I also didn’t anticipate how a global pandemic would affect absolutely everything) Even though it didn’t directly affect us, finally… after much planning and consulting, Staunton’s “modified market” opened on Saturday. Vendors and customers reported a smooth operation. So, there is at least some good news to report. You can see the few photos .here.
wild crabapple blossoms


autumn olive in the fencerow

This developing a new chapter/a new plan/ a new persona is hard. Some days I think it is beyond me. Our market-vendor routine is gone, and nothing works like it used to. (and I do mean nothing…health and age-related issues are major hurdles that affect us on a daily basis)  

The other day I read a story about a girl, who in the midst of a health crisis and mental/emotional meltdown, looked at her mother and asked, “any strategies?”  The reason this story is in any way a story is that the girl in question is autistic. And, if any segment of the population is struggling with this whole world turned upside down, it is those dear folks on the spectrum. But, in that moment, this girl who struggles so much on a daily basis was cognizant of her need AND willing to ask for help. That is amazing…that is inspiring…neurotypical folks could learn a thing or two from this chick.

So, all week, I’ve been thinking about finding/needing strategies…strategies to cope, to deal, to figure things out…to just keep going.

Sometimes, it’s taking a walk. Getting outside in nature helps. And, even during the pandemic it is encouraged. Just don’t get too close!
chillin' with the sheep

chipping sparrow

Otis is always chill

cardinal in backyard maple
(best thing we ever did was put the birdfeeder outside the kitchen window)
the bumblebees seem happy

Sometimes it’s looking at things from a new perspective. Again, getting outside helps…or maybe bringing the outside…in.
when I brought crabapple blossoms inside
Remy seemed to appreciate them too
for days, she would sit beside them


Sometimes, you just need a whole new day...
even a "broody" sunrise
holds the potential of a new day

...and there are always "acts of service" to get your mind off yourself and your troubles... 


I suppose I could get all serious here...but, the heavy crisis situation needs a little levity...
Otis often accompanies me up the driveway when I head out for a walk. However, he expects treats when I return. He is partial to a fine dandelion bouquet.
oh yum!


truly tasty!
more...
have ya got any MORE?
Sometimes, someone else has an answer…or at least the possibility of an answer.

One of my favorite authors posted the following. I know she’s said this before. It’s kind of her “thing”. Read Happiness for Beginners

Katherine Center:  “…start keeping a list of 3 Good Things every day. I’ve been doing this lately—and it genuinely, truly helps. I do it first thing in the morning, thinking back over the day before. It doesn’t fix things or change things or solve things. But it shifts your perceptions. It forces you to notice good things in a way you wouldn’t have otherwise. It trains your brain to collect upsides, moments of grace, and little blessings. Honestly, once you make yourself start the list, you often wind up with more than three things. But it’s not what’s on the list that matters. It’s the act of looking. I promise, it helps. Try it.”

 “the act of looking” …there is an epiphany in that phrase. A shift in perspective…perhaps it’s a new strategy…

the end of another day

So…while I’m thinking about that one, search for strategies and trying to figure out just what the heck I’m supposed to be doing now…

I  hope you have a

 Happy Sunday!  



Thanks SO much for stopping by! Come back and “visit” again soon.

Y'all come on back now...
ya hear?

**since Blogger seems to have gotten weird about my photos, I will be posting a mid-week photo post over on my Wordpress site. Come over there and check it out. www.barbarawomack.com **



3 comments:

  1. Lovely photos...I like your idea of finding three things about the day to appreciate...we also need something to look forward to like a cheeseburger for dinner or a favorite movie to watch...I am very selectful of what I watch or read when it comes to news..but last week I turned on the TV and the morning show to see if they covered the Alabama tornado damage...I notice Katie was interviewing the head of world health and she asked him a question, can't remember what it was now but she continued to reword her question, trying to get him to make a statement that reflected her view...trying to sensationalize the news. It just gets to me how they want to broadcast or report doom, or to find negative things to report. That is why we seldom turn our TV on. Have a blessed Sunday.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely words and lovely photographs Barbara - things are much the same here but people are being very good indeed at working from home and at social distancing. The roads are quiet and there are few people about apart from those on the walk we are all allowed for fresh air each day providing we keep our distance from one another. I think everyone will be pleased when it is all behind us. Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear from you, Pat. Thanks for reading!
      We will all be ever so thankful when this is all behind us.
      Stay well! <3

      Delete