Friday, November 17, 2017

THE Year


“...this is gonna be THE year!”

I’m still not certain if that was indeed an affirmation of blessing on our endeavors or simply a “oh dear god, pull yourself together woman” type of plea...but, the Boss’ somewhat laughing proclamation still rings in my ears.

Now, that we are at the end of the Market season...for all intents and purposes, the end of our year...I find myself looking back at THE year through a slightly different lens.

Any amazing plans we may have had hit the skids when we heard that diagnosis back in March. To say that affected the Market season is a gross understatement. We were rocked to our very core.

And, from the Opening Day of Market season when I left the Boss at home recuperating from major surgery to the next-to-the-last Market when he headed out alone while I stayed behind recovering from my own, this year has been unlike any we have ever experienced.

Those personal-best totals of 2014 still remain unchallenged. That amazing production never materialized. And, any sense of accomplishment and success eluded us...replaced instead by the simple relief that we could indeed put this one in the history book.

So, while this year was in no way what we had planned, expected, or even hoped...

We survived. 

We managed to get to every single Market.

We endured.

And, this year that is sucess.

Because...

For every scary diagnosis and medical procedure, there was a positive outcome.

For every difficult day and worrisome experience, we found strength.

For every crop failure and growing challenge, all our needs were met.

We have enough.


                                            ...and we are grateful.

wisdom from Winnie the Pooh




4 comments:

  1. My dar Barbara. This is just to say that both you and the Boss are an amazing pair. I am full of admiration for the way you carry on. I have been with you every step of the way and shared your worries and your joys. May next year be an exceptionally good one for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! You are so kind.
      I could say the same of you. You serve as an inspiration to me the way you meet Life's challenges and continue to carry on.

      Delete
  2. As this year winds down to a close, I agree with Weaver, in that next year should be a good one with far less fear and pain!! May your seeds all germinate, your aphids and potato beetles be few, and your frost be forewarned! :) -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a perfect blessing for gardeners! Thanks, Jenn!

      Delete