Sunday, September 3, 2017

Sunday Walkabout 9-3

Did you know that “Failure to pay full-time and attention” can get you a traffic ticket in the state of Virginia?  In some cases, you can end up paying a pretty hefty fine.

No, I didn’t get a ticket...but, I am indeed paying the consequences for my “failure to pay full-time and attention”.

We were just about ready to eat supper at the end of a most pleasant Sunday. The Boss was nearly finished grilling the lamb chops. It was time to mash the potatoes...

What happened next was rather unbelievable.

I made the move to take the pot of potatoes to the sink for draining (a move I have made thousands of times). But, I missed! I hit the little edge of the sink. The pot bounced backward. The water sloshed. I lost my grip. Instinctively, I raised my knee to stop the pot from falling on the floor. The boiling water hit my jeans. As my jeans absorbed the water, it burned my thigh. Screaming in pain, I dropped the pot, potatoes and water going everywhere.  I couldn’t peel my jeans away quickly enough. Ow OW OW OW OOOOOOWWWWW

And, just like that everything changed.

He finished supper while I sat on the edge of the bathtub, cold water cascading over the burn that ran from my kneecap to my upper thigh. Surely that would take care of it. Surely we could just eat supper and regain some semblance of a normal evening. (if you're wondering...yes, we did eat. Couldn't waste good lamb chops!) 

But, the water was only a temporary solution. As time went by, it became obvious that the burn was going to need some medical attention. 

Except. The burn couldn’t stand any cover. (except a cold, wet washcloth) that meant my only clothing option was my bathrobe. And flip flops. I tried not to think about what fashion statement I was making as we set off to urgent care. 
good thing we eat early
it was nearly closing time

When the receptionist queried, “do you need to be seen?”  I nearly lost my composure. I mean, I almost laughed out loud. And, then I got to wondering...just how many folks go traipsing into Urgent Care in Draft on a Sunday evening wearing their flip flops and bathrobe without a “need to be seen”? Do you think that happens? WHY would you go if you didn't have a "need to be seen"? At least there was a little humor in a most uncomfortable, slightly embarrassing situation.

this really hurts!

Everyone was very nice and assured me that stuff like this happened all the time. They put some blessedly cold ointment on it, bandaged me up, gave me a Rx for the pain and sent me on my way.


Have you ever tried to keep 5 tefla (non-stick) bandages in place when gravity is constantly working against you? Why doesn’t anyone tell you that re-usable, self-stick bandages lose their grip after about 3 applications? Or that gauze doesn’t retain its elasticity at all? Do you know just how large an area 27cm by 17cm is? Why aren't there more first-aid options? Did you know that you can’t drive, sit in a chair or even walk very well if your knee is bandaged? That hopping/limping makes you tired...and grumpy? (maybe that's just me) Are you aware of the pain that even a first-degree burn causes? 

I spent a good deal of time finding out the answers to those questions and a few more while I re-wrapped my bandage countless times…and took some more Tylenol. 

I didn’t get much else accomplished, I must say.

However, by Market morning, it had healed enough to use just two enormous band-aids (which thankfully stayed in place). So, I was barely limping. I could wear my jeans, instead of the shorts and rubber boots that had been my uniform for several days. (not a good look, but it was easy) And, with the exception of the one vendor-friend who we had seen early in the week and had heard my long, sad story...nobody even knew what happened. I really didn’t want to have to repeat that story countless times at the Market.

It’s been five years since the last time I ended up in Urgent Care because of a kitchen disaster. Did you read this one? And, it’s only the second time in nearly 35 years of nightly supper prep., so I guess that’s not too bad.  But, I can assure you, I will be paying more attention in the future! And, if you’re wondering…the big burn hurt far more than the knife wound.

The rest of the week was mercifully uneventful, albeit a bit soggy. 
the broccoli is beautiful

honeybee in a squash blossom on a rainy day

it rained so hard the lambs quit grazing
and headed for shelter under the trees

This was partly because it rained (a lot)…and partly because I was incapable of doing much, thus avoiding any further catastrophes. I did get some data entry work done and worked the tomatoes left from Market into pizza sauce.
ready to sauce tomatoes

saucing tomatoes

the finished product

We’re probably done canning for the season, so the Boss got all the jars stored on the shelves. One more job completed. YAY

nothing left of this marker
yes, that IS a peach pit
not sure how it got there
As you know, we are right in the middle of Project Lambchop 2018. This week it was time to change the marker color. We have had some frustrating issues with the markers. You can see what I’m talking about here.  The company changed brands and we have not been at all happy with the new crayons. They are supposed to be “all-weather” but they are soft and squishy even in cool weather. The high temperatures lately had them melting all over everything. One even fell apart after just one mount.
this isn't going to do any good!
That sent the Boss scrambling to find the old brand of markers that come from New Zealand. After a little online detective work, he found them. We didn’t have to order from New Zealand, and they arrived just in time to change colors. Good thing. NINE ewes were marked within 72 hours of the color change. If this “took”, the barn will be a hopping place come mid to late January. We won’t know for certain until later this month. Fingers crossed!
marked ewes

The arrival of meteorological autumn brought with it the remnants of Hurricane Harvey. This made for a soggy day of harvest and a fairly miserable Market. But, our weather woes are nothing compared to the conditions in and around Houston. 

The images coming out of Texas are unbelievable. Those folks are going to need a lot of help for a long time. Want to donate? Here’s a list of charities. Personally, I’m a fan of THIS ONE. (Everybody needs clean undies!)

A rainy Market is generally pretty miserable.
dreary, drizzly Market
 Time passes ever so slowly and it’s difficult to maintain a cheerful attitude when everything is dripping wet.
ready for sales

 And, this week was no exception. It was dark and dreary and the cold, drizzly rain soaked clear down to your bones.

puddle at Market

Customer traffic was quite light until late in the morning by which time all the vendors were anxious to go home, get dry and quite possibly take a nap. Despite the lack of music (water doesn’t do expensive instruments and equipment any good at all) and diminished sales, we did have some interesting conversations and a relatively good day. And, that cup of coffee when we got home tasted especially good!

my spin on ratatouille
made with leftovers from the Market 

…and that was our week.

Hope you’re having a Happy Sunday! 

if a four-leaf clover is LUCKY
what is a FIVE-leaf clover?

Thanks for stopping by.

Come “visit” again real soon.


  1. Oh, no; that burn sounds like agony! I was helping my husband change a flat tire when the car dropped onto my hand and we went tearing into a nearby ER...I was sure my whole arm was going to be amputated but the nurse just looked at my paw and said, mildly: Oh. Crush injury.

    I calmed down immediately. Knowing that there was a name for what I was experiencing helped a lot. I hope the burn protocols helped ease your mind as to the severity of your injury.

    I also hope the pain meds were helpful and maybe just a little bit fun.

    Farm life looks fascinating. Your sheep look very cute.

    1. Thanks for stopping by, Vivian!
      I appreciate your concern. The thing that helped the most was the refrigerated ointment. It felt wonderful to stop the burning sensation. Other than looking truly revolting now, it feels almost normal.
      My husband was most concerned. He recalled a friend who caught her pants on fire, had to call the rescue squad and eventually had skin grafts. I cannot imagine how horrible that must have been!
      I hope you'll stop by and "visit" again soon.

  2. Barbaram that scalded thigh looks very painful. I do hope it clears up completely and doesn't give you any more trouble.

    1. Thank you, Pat! On the road to complete recovery.

  3. Awful! Thoughts and hugs heading your way for a speedy recovery. Take care!