Monday, August 8, 2016

Farmers' Market Week 2016

-USDA image


August 7-13 2016 has been declared National Farmers Market week!

“It's a time to celebrate the farmers, ranchers and local food producers as well as the communities that make them happen. In fact, Secretary Tom Vilsack officially declared August 7 through August 13, 2016, as the 17th annual National Farmers Market Week (pdf), highlighting how farmers markets play a key role in local and regional food systems and in sustaining family farms.” (USDA website)



On a more personal note, the Staunton Farmers’ Market has been the single biggest influence in our lives since 1998, providing both our income and an important aspect of our social lives.

Farmers’ Markets are enjoying unprecedented popularity. Nationwide there are over 8,500 markets listed with the USDA. The state of Virginia currently has 259 markets…up from 88 in 2006. That is amazing growth for ten years. Our Staunton Market has been there all along. Opening in 1993, it has served as an example for numerous new markets in various locations.

market overview
-TLWomack image


I plan to do a number of posts this week highlighting the importance of the Market, both personally and to the consumers. But, just in case I don’t (because, you know...the Market...) I have noted the links to a series I did for Farmers' Market 2014.


I hope that if you have a farmers’ market available locally, that you will visit, shop, and get to know the farmers. A producer-only farmers’ market (like ours in Staunton) is the very best way to get the very freshest, local food.

And, if you think of a question about Farmers' Markets that you'd like answered...let me know. I'll see if I can't get you an answer.




See you at the Market!


1 comment:

  1. Oh how I wish I could come and see you there Barbara. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete