Thursday, April 24, 2014

Then Sings My Soul - A Thursday Thankful

a glorious sunrise always reminds me of a hymn
My first recollections of any type of music were sitting next to my grandmother on her piano bench as she played hymns, her voice quavering slightly on the very high notes.  The hymns were not only her way of worship, they provided her a feeling of connectivity with her family and long-lost loved ones.  She would smile softly and say “this was Papa’s favorite” or “Pete (Laura/Grace/Lilly…) loves this one”…and begin another song.

I distinctly remember her excitement after the mailman delivered a package containing a record from the Billy Graham crusades…and George Beverly Shay’s rich voice booming forth from the hi-fi as he sang “How Great Thou Art”. Growing up in the church, it was a while before I discovered that hymns were not the only type of music in the world. Today, my musical taste is fairly eclectic.

music keeps me focused on the good stuff

Yes, I do think it’s possible to like country and classical, hymns and hiphop, blues and bluegrass, rock and reggae…but, country will always be my favorite.  Because as Trace Adkins says:

 it's songs about me
And who I am
Songs about loving and living
And good-hearted women and family and God
Yeah they're all just
Songs about me

You may wonder what music has to do with farming. Music is expressive in ways I am not...granting outlet for thoughts, feelings that would otherwise remain pent up, reminding me of who I am, what I stand for...and inspiring me to give thanks for the blessings that surround me...and a good beat really gets me moving!






















Much of the work I do is solitary (yes, I work with the Boss, but not hand in hand or even on the same project all the time)…repetitive…(and dare I say it?)…monotonous…and yes, I will say it… BORING.   …and hot, and tiring…and…



You can only pull so many weeds, pick so many vegetables...before you run out of things to think about (or maybe shouldn’t be thinking about in the first place) The work to be done stretches out like an insurmountable challenge. Spirits lag and time stands still.

tunes and diet dew...I'm ready to go!



Music allows some respite from the monotony and keeps me motivated.  With my MP3 player fully charged and my earbuds in place…I am good to go for hours…maybe the entire day.  …and I have yet to encounter a problem that music and a long walk in the country cannot solve. (although a few have taken more miles—and songs--than I care to count!)



Studies have been done that show productivity goes up when music is provided.  It even works with dairy cows!




So, today, I’m thankful for all those folks who make music their profession…those tunes that keep me motivated and productive.


…and I’m thankful that I am not the only one who (on occasion) sings and dances while farming. Watch this great video from Klingenberg Farm Studios. 




Have a great day!   

                                ...and be HAPPY!  (here's the link to the original song) from the movie Despicable Me.


No comments:

Post a Comment