Monday, July 4, 2011

Be Careful What You Wish For

We have been worrying over the weather a LOT of late. We have been praying for rain a LOT of late. I was personally praying for at least one inch of rain.




This afternoon, we got the answer to our prayers….RAIN! Lots and lots of rain! Wind, thunder and lightning were a part of the package deal. We really needed the moisture, so we were ecstatic. Presently, there is over an inch and three-quarters in the gauge, and it’s still raining.

However, I was more than a little concerned about the corn. When it rains hard and there is wind, the corn is generally flattened by the storm. This was the case this time as well.

This morning the corn was tall and straight and beautiful.

After the rain, a flattened, matted mess.


Tom assures me that it will indeed stand back up. I reckon it’s another lesson in faith. Part of me wants to run out and stand it all upright again. I did that once when the girls were very small. It took me hours, but I was so worried and felt I needed to do something. We had corn that year, and I felt that I had contributed greatly to the crop. Although, Tom pointed out that it probably would have corrected itself.

I suppose I should start being a little more specific when I request rain. Or, at least be completely accepting of the outcome. But, the grass is already greener! That is our biggest concern this time of year. We can irrigate the crops if necessary, but the grass for the sheep is completely dependent upon rain from Heaven above. That causes some pretty tense times here on the farm.

So, thank you, Lord! The sheep will be enjoying green grass once more! As for the corn…we’ll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment