Monday, May 16, 2011

Occupational Hazard


Every week, prior to harvest, I do a quality control test on each bed of lettuce. Our customers can be assured that if I don’t think it’s edible….they won’t have to eat it!

Bitter lettuce is not a pleasant experience. All the salad dressing in the world won’t hide the fact when the lettuce is tough and past its prime. To keep the customers happily consuming our lettuce, we are quite picky about quality.

So, I taste, I evaluate, THEN I pick.

Since we do NOT use chemicals of any type in the hoophouse, I can pick it and eat it…direct from the ground.

There is one down-side to all of this. I have consumed a little more protein that I would like while checking the lettuce crop. I didn’t really think about it until I realized that lettuce shouldn’t have that “smooth” mouth feel….I am certain that I have ingested more than one slug. EWWW! BLECH!



While I can attest to the deliciousness of the lettuce and can assure you that it has been washed once…
I would suggest you wash it again before consumption. Unless, of course, you need a little more protein in your diet…




Any “protein crunchies” or “escargot-type” things you may find in your lettuce are indeed chemical-free, if that makes them any more appetizing.




…and you can be assured that we have at least tried everything we take to the Market.

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment